Δευτέρα 10 Μαρτίου 2008

Simultaneous Interpreters


Guys and Galls;

Concerning my department in Sakarya University( German Interpretation and translation), i have to prepare a project in order to graduate from university in May. And the topic, which i want to gain expert knowledge is "the conditions and morality of simultaneous interpretation and effects of these conditions to the quality of the interpretation".

Here, i want to illuminate you with what i leant as a result of my observations.

As many people do, i am in the same opinion with "simultaneous interpretation (in other words-conference interpretation) is the hardest job in the world". I say that because while an interpreter starts to interprete, he/she has to work both side of his/her brain in the same time. You don't have any time to look up your dictionary because of concentration. You have to focus yourself just what you hear from speaker and translate by one by and transfer to the audiences.

The most important rule is to forget what you heard in the cabinette, never and ever share it with anyone. That's why it requires a special talent and education. Because a simultaneous interpreter is the most important element of international conferences and meetings. You need to have a great knowledge of terminolgy, cultural wealth of both target language and source language. Many people think that everyone who speak a language can be a translator or interpreter. That's completely wrong. Because it requires a big experiment and culture data.

So, sound-proof cabinette is the first necessary material of this process lest to be effected by any noise or sound. Secondly there should be an extra interpreter waiting for him/her. Because the performance of the interpreter gets lower after 45 minutes and the other continues to translate while the other is resting his/her brain.

Third,the speech speed of speaker is also very important. It should be neither too slow nor too fast. And before the conference starts, the speaker should give a copy of his speech to let the interpreter about the subject.

These are just a small part of what i searched and observed. There are also details which are very vital for being an interpreter. But even it's too early for me, it's going to be a big step in my life taking place in this project... Just wish good luck to me;)

Your sincerely

2 σχόλια:

Moutsakos είπε...

İyi şanslar dilerim!

Although I'm not an interpreter myself I had the chance to work as such in the past: Turkish into Greek. I haven't studied neither Greek nor Turkish literature or langauge, let alone trnaslation and interpretation (I'm a historian). But there are so few Greeks or Turks who command both languages in order to be able to work as interpeters (with the exception of the Istanbul Greeks) that certain interpretation agencies in Athens decided to "train" me by sending me to various conferences in 2004 - 2005. Thank god I was always the back up interpreter and I rarely had to do the real job. Once I was sent in Chios (Sakız adası) to work at a one-day interregional conference where mayors and province governor from the Aegean and Thracian provinces of both coutnries would discuss common problems and cooperation possibilities.

The head-interpreter, an Istanbul Greek, asked me to try but I couldn't understand a word of what the Vali of Edirne was saying. After less than a minute the Greek participants complained and I immediately handed the earphones back to her. This is were I decided I should focus on history.

Anyways, kolay gelsin sana.

Burcu είπε...

@moutsakos: i'm so glad to get your wishes for me...efharisto polu!
yes i can understand your feelings while you're in cabinette because it's really hard to manage this process...As i mentioned in my article, it's something that just professionals can hold with lots of brain exercises and focus practises. I don't know whether you heard about it but after many years, alzheimer illnes occurs among interpreters.And that damages your brain in too bad way.
And i am also very happy to see a Greek to speak Turkish so good. I wish i had the same chancefor translating Greek into Turkish...
Çok teşekkürler.
Saygılarımla