Κυριακή 2 Μαρτίου 2008

Two Word Phrases


My friends, i've been participating in an English course (named English Time)since last year and i am going to get my level 6 certificate next week. In my opinion, it has been a good experience for my articles here in ypokeimenikos. Also our administrator's proficiency in English couraged me when he visited me in Turkey to improve my English in this blog. And now i'd like to share some word phrases that i learnt from course which you may need in your daily circulation.

on-off: not constant: "They have a very on-off relationship".

mish-mash: when things are combined together and so appear untidy: "The new policy is a bit of mish-mash of the last two polices we've had".

riff-raff: quite a "snobby" expression to describe people you think are lower class than you. " We don't want the town's riff-raff turning up and eating all the food".

chit-chat: small talk or unimportant conversation: "He asked us to stop our chit-chat and get on with our work".

knick-knack: an ornament: "She has got a lot of knick-knacks. I am always afraid I'm going to break one".

ship-shape: everything in its right place: "I want to leave the place ship-shape when we go on holiday".

ding-dong: an argument: "They've had a bit of a ding-dong and they're not talking to each other at the moment".

higgledy-piggledy: in a mess: "That bookshelf is all higgledy-piggledy".

easy-peasy: something that children often say to emphasize how easy something is: "This program is easy-peasy. I understood it in half an hour!"

see-saw: something that goes up and down: " The English pound has see-sawed against the American dollar for the last two weeks".

1 σχόλιο:

Ektoras είπε...

Nai gia na veltiwsei ta agglika tou hr8e...lol lol lol